Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Diamond Jubilee

So, I recently passed a milestone. (Better than a gallstone, amirite? I'm here all week.) My birthday this past week saw me hitting the big round 60.

I marked the last of my fifties with a day; for this landmark is sort of spent a whole week celebrating.

It started on Saturday last week with Geek Girl Con, the celebration of popular culture, art, and science for the female half of the population. I have attended all but one of these events since they started - I missed last year. Well, I re-upped this year, joined by perennial con pal Margaret (who cosplayed Mac, the doctor from Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries).

 Margaret, worn out and resting in Introvert Alley

Last visit I mentioned that GGC might be starting to show its age a bit; this visit I noticed that the con seemed smaller, both less-attended, with fewer vendors/exhibitors, and not as many Big Names. There was some internal staff kerfuffle earlier in the year; I am not sure if that contributed to the perceived admonishment, or if we're getting con fatigue, or what. Nonetheless, there were several bright spots - some, of course, in the cosplay:


I was thrilled to see a crossplay Jason Momoa Aquaman even before the movie is out!


Perhaps even more exciting was encountering this 80s/90s Kimiyo Hoshi version of Dr. Light! She seemed very grateful that someone recognized her...

I truncated my con attendance to one day, because Sunday I was DMing a big Dungeons and Dragon session at my old haunt, Wayward Coffeehouse. They made me feel very welcome after two years away, reserving the best table:



Here's the party of adventurers:


And here's the party of players:


Yup, after a six-year hiatus, it was the return of DM Walaka and his All-Girl Band of Murder Hoboes, renamed the Wonder Woman, Wonder Women Celebratory Campaign! It was a swell six-and-a-half hour adventure with an awesome group of creative and energetic players. Thrill, chills, and spills were all to be had, and an awesome (if I do say so myself) Unexpected Plot Twist at the end.


Fighting giant snakes!

Entering the dragon's skull!

A seriously great time.

Then Monday I was sick as a dog. Margaret called it Con Crud, and I found out she was under the weather that day as well, and that it was not uncommon for convention attendees to get sick. I was so far under the weather I'd have had to climb up to feel lousy, but it passed with a night's sleep. Disappointing that it was the perfect day for my memorial walk or bike ride, and I had to miss that.

Which left Tuesday for an adventure with Coco!


Using the power of the Nexus pass and our as yet still-friendly nearby border crossing, we headed up to Vancouver to visit a Value Village; the IKEA (to try the Swedish Veggie balls)...
 


... another Value Village; a comic book store; the beach; a game store; and what may be the finest vegetarian restaurant in North America, The Acorn. A fantastic day that won/t be beat for a long time.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were spent on college business in Longview, Washington. The less said about that the better, but oy vey was it depressing.

And Saturday capped off the revels with a party attended by friends I have known for up to 35 years and friends I have met since moving to Bellingham two years ago. It made me feel all George Bailey, really.


I have been told that at 60 I am now officially distinguished. I don't know about that, but I did get a senior discount at Value Village, so that's something. All in all, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this stuff called living. So here's to another 60 years of maybe getting it right - I promised Coco.


No comments: