Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Friday, July 13, 2018

The persistence of memory



So, about a year and a half ago, I had to go to Walla Walla* for a training session and statewide council meeting, and was there long enough to have to find two dinners on my own. Right smack in the nice** walkable little downtown, I encountered Sweet Basil Pizzeria, an unassuming little place with great New York style pizza, good salads, and a good selection of beer and wine. The people running the place were friendly, and I enjoyed my dinner sitting at the counter between the entry and the oven, sort-of reading a book and chatting with the staff.

I enjoyed the place so much, I came back the second night to have dinner there again instead of exploring and finding another eatery.

This week, I was back in Walla Walla for a different statewide commission meeting, and was only there long enough to have to find dinner on my own once. I of course headed back to Sweet Basil; my colleagues were not surprised, given how much I had raved about it in the intervening months.

After I ordered, I said to the woman behind the counter "You probably don't remember me, but I was here from out of town over a year ago and I liked your pizza and your restaurant so much I came two nights in a row.  I am back in town now and back here again because it's that good."

She looked at me a second and said "Oh, yeah. You come from Bellingham. You sat right over there." And she pointed at the counter between the entry and the oven.

Holy moly!

We had a fun reunion, and the pizza was every bit as good as I had remembered.

So, if you ever find yourself in Walla Walla at dinnertime, head over to to Sweet Basil. Ask for Lindsay, and tell her Walter sent ya.

She'll remember.

And you'll have some great pizza.



* The town so nice they named it twice.

**  See what I mean?

No comments: