Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Staycation Daze 3: Now that's more like it

So, balancing out the Mt. Baker misadventure on Monday, Coco and I had a nice excursion to Orcas Island in the San Juans on Tuesday. It was a bit of a sampler tour, as we took in Eastsound, Moran State Park, and Doe Bay in our little day trip. The weather cooperated, so the ferry rides to and from were as pleasant a part of the adventure as any thing else.

The highlight of the day was climbing the lookout tower on Mt. Constitution - at 2400 feet, we weren't half as high as Artist Point on Baker, but man what a view!


We could see our house from here! Well, almost - there were trees in the way. But using borrowed binoculars, I did clearly identify the senior housing a block or two away from our place.

Here's a bit closer look:



Coco was kind of a tour guide, as she had visited the island most recently - like, 15 years ago. Surprisingly, not much had changed. Besides looking out into the wild blue yonder, we had a good meal at a little hippie restaurant she remembered and which was still there, and walked through Doe Day Resort, where she had once vacationed in a yurt and which we bookmarked for a future weekend getaway. Coco bought some nice-smelling lavender stuff and I got a new pair of clip-on, flip-up sunglasses, and we both ate ice cream cones in the sunshine.
 
All in all, a great trip, marred only by some nagging work details that I couldn't quite shake out of my consciousness. I'm trying to get my head into full vacation mode, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Blah, blah, boo-hoo, poor me. Still a heckuva great day with my sweetie.

No comments: