Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Monday, August 25, 2014

Temp Check 10/13: This is ridiculous.

So, if I weren't so scrupulously honest I'd consider giving up on the tally sheet off to the right there. It has not stopped being too busy and too warm and I have been off my pace for too many weeks. I was so busy today that I didn't even have time to write this post in advance, and i don;t even have time to finish it properly!

Well, we have three weeks left to try to make a comeback. part of my busy-ness today was getting my grading completed, so summer quarter is officially over, and that will help. Of course, the three new preps for September won't do me any good... but neither will bellyaching.

I have a half-a-book report to share. I was reading The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean, a wonderful explication of DNA that careens from Deep Science to Wacky Anecdote. Kean is a good explainer and has a great way with the vernacular; some of his turns of phrase are delightfully jarring, like neon signs in chapel. Before I had to turn the book back to library half-read, I learned the following:

  • DNA and genes are way more complicated than most things we read make them sound
  • Retroviruses are totally scary
  • There was a guy who was at both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic blasts - and survived

This week also held campus time, pub trivia (my team came in second!), two RPG nights, a morning spent wandering downtown while the car was being serviced that was extremely pleasant until it went on too long, an evening of circus arts, and some angel duty. See what I mean? Busy!

Artsy picture of a crane reflected in a building.
(The one on the right is the reflection.)


No comments: