Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Saturday, December 14, 2019

PSP 1

So, it must say something about the state of the blogosphere that I haven't posted anything yet this vacation. As sporadic as this site has been over the past few years, I have always used the blog as my electronic postcards on trips, and here I have been in Palm Springs for almost 48 hours and haven't posted a thing. Let's correct that.

First of all, our flight out of Bham was delayed on the tarmac for about an hour for equipment maintenance. Not a real big deal, and the crew was very communicative all the way through, but here's the thing: the delay was caused by indicator light saying a deicing valve would not close; fine, we need to check to see if the valve is malfunctioning or if the indicator is malfunctioning. I get that. But the solution to the problem was to lock the valve in the open position. Which raises the question in my mind that if the plane can function perfectly well with the valve open, why was there even a need to close it in the first place?

But we made it Palm Springs just fine and had our traditional first-stop lunch at Maracas on the strip before checking into the hotel, which is pretty sweet. Restored mid-century modern, nice people, great room, and they even brought and extra table so Coco could grade. (Unfortunately, we're both doing a bit of remote work this trip.)

The rest of Thursday saw provisioning, a nice Asian-fusion dinner a short walk away, and the Thursday night street fair.

Friday started with a long walk through the neighborhoods, and saw lots of swimming and poolside reading action (between work spurts), ending with a so-so dinner at a vegetarian spot in East Palm Springs.

Today I took a nice bike ride up trough the Las Palmas neighborhood, where I fully intend to retire someday. There is something about the desert beauty and the modernist architecture of the homes that really appeals to me: maybe it just seems more clean and orderly to me, but I feel really comfortable with it.

We'll see what the rest of the day holds, but here's some images of the trip so far.

Thursday night street fair

Mural that Coco named "Monkey Punching Something"

Someday...

My kind of vacation

No comments: