Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Sunday, December 22, 2019

PSP PS

So, on one of our warm and sunny walks through and around Palm Springs, Coco and I stopped for something cool and refreshing at a little shop that sold frozen yogurt, gelato, and Italian ices.

If you have never had an Italian Ice, it's kind of like a poor cousin of sorbet or granita - smoother than Hawaiian shaved ice, and with the fruit flavors mixed in, not poured on.

This little place had lots of flavors, including the classic lemon. This was a standard treat when I was a kid in Brooklyn, sold in pizza places and from guys with carts, and lemon was always the go-to flavor. We used to get them for a nickel, in a little paper cup, not cardboard but pleated paper. And when we were finished with the ice, we would suck that paper for any last remnants of flavor. I explained all this to the young woman behind the counter.

And which point she said "You mean cups like these?" And there it was:


No madeleine ever brought memories rushing back so vividly. I could almost smell the hot blacktop of a city summer after a rain, hear the sound of a spaldeen being hit by a broom handle, feel the soles of new PF Flyers pounding on the sidewalk and the sweaty coins in my hand, as I raced after the ice cream guy.

I paid one hundred times the price of my youth for a standard cup of lemon ice, and took one of the paper cups as a memento. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but it has place of pride on my bookshelf right now, helping the memories linger.

No comments: