Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Times of the Times

So, over on He is a Thark, I posted about a story in an old Seattle newspaper announcing the start of the Superman comic-strip in their pages. Since I paid for the archive of the page, I thought I would get my money's worth and share it with y'all. So here we go: the Tuesday, March, 5, 1940 edition of the Seattle Daily Times. Click it open and follow along!

¶ I am always flabbergasted by the sheer volume of text crammed into old newspaper pages. This page has no editorial graphics or photos, just headlines and body text. A far cry from the chart-junk and images in today's papers.

¶ We're looking at page two, and the first news story is about perjury charges being dropped in a year-and-a-half old property case. I don't know if the principal was a local celebrity or what, but that doesn't seem like a lead story to me.

¶ The Proceedings of the Northwest Conference on Distribution (that was indeed held on March 6, 1940) run to 104 pages and are available in the National Agricultural Library (a division of the US Dept. of Agriculture).

¶ In the article on "Tommy the Cork," it is telling that the writer did not feel the need to explain that the R.F.C. was the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, a New Deal agency. I guess we don't always explain CIA today, do we?

¶ The contested parking zone is a mile or so south on the main street in my neighborhood. It's all metered now, from here to there.

¶ Three stories related to the census - big news! And in one, President Franklin Roosevelt is referred to as F.R. instead of FDR. I wonder when the styling changed.

¶ I counted four fillers. Can you find them all?

¶ Only fifteen shopping days till easter - good thing the men's style guide comes out in two days! We want those pre-war metrosexuals to look their best!

¶ When I worked on a newspaper in the seventies, we still called legislators solons - does anyone still do that?

¶ And my favorite item (after the Superman story):


Oh, to have a pen so well-made and fine that it was worth not just refilling, but repairing.

No comments: