Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Sunday, December 25, 2016

#HawaiianEye: Mele Kalikimaka

 Holiday music at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel

So, I usually celebrate December 25 as Isaac Newton's Birthday, a practice that grew out of my reluctance to embrace either the religious holiday of Christmas or the commercial holiday of Christmas, but wanting something to celebrate along with everyone else.  Apples and rainbow ornaments replaced the crèches and the reindeer, and a tradition was born (Newton Day apple pancake breakfasts became A Thing in our crowd).

But Maui is about as far from Isaac Newton as I can imagine, so here's a try at a different sensibility: for some time I have been thinking about what I call TV-movie Xmas: a non-denominational, spiritually vague celebration of peace, good will, and generosity; a time when we take a moment to reflect that kindness is actually important and that manifesting it is valuable. I can get behind that.

So, in that spirit, Mele Kalikimaka from Napili Bay!




No comments: