Superman never made any money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy

Monday, February 9, 2009

Not the ninth art (but that one's cooking)

As you may or may not have heard, our latest regular Friday night RPG - Johnbai's second D&D campaign, to be specific - has come to a premature end as a result of the vicissitudes of RL. To memorialize this passage, click here to activate a cheesy midi file (which should play in a new window) and read along:


Anybody here seen my old friend Sebastian?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He punched a lotta people but it seems the big they die young
You know I just looked around and he's gone




Anybody here seen my old friend Narley?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He seen a lotta weird stuff but it seems the small just get lost
I just looked around and he's gone





Anybody here seen my old friend Ragnar?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He helped a lotta people but it seems the good they die young
I just looked around and he's gone








Didn't you love the things that they stood for?
Weren't all of them lawful good in alignment?
I mean all three.
Some day soon, it's gonna be okay

Anybody here seen my old friend Ovo?
Can you tell me where she's gone?
I thought I saw her walkin' up over the hill
With Sebastian, Narley, and Ragnar





Thanks for the good times, folks. I had fun.

Okay, well, that was pretty inappropriate...

And here's something even tawdrier: the 50 Hottest Sci-Fi Girls. Normally, I'd never link to this sort of thing even though Johnbai was all over it, and there's just something weird about a sensibility that can place TV/movie characters portrayed by real women on the same "hotness" scale with comic book/manga/anime/video game characters, but the only actual person to place twice on this list (for two different characters) is a favorite of this blog, so here it is. Slog through or not, but it does hold some surprises.

So, while we're on the topic of geekcore, I don't know if this is where Soapy has been getting the stuff he has been emailing lately or if I am turning him onto the mother load here, but this website is a treasure-trove of old comic book ads.


Now that I have completely destroyed any ethos I have managed to build up in the past, I'll just say that it sure was peaceful walking home with the hail/snow starting to fall just as I got off the bus. I saw some lighting and heard almost immediate thunder as we pulled up to 65th street, the pellets began coming down as I cut across Salman's Chevron, and the sidewalks just got whiter and whiter as I made my way up the hill. It wasn't quite the archetypal winter wonderland, but the quiet and the stillness were enough to take the edge off a busy day anyway.

No comments: